THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS HIGH SCHOOLS AND THEIR FOUNDERS
- PART 2
- By Domnic Fernandes
Jacob C. de Souza married Albertina Jorgina Bragança, a native of Baroda, India Britanica. She was a bhattkarn or landlady to the word – she spent most of her time relaxed in an armchair. She passed away at the age of 72 (January 15, 1864 - July 3, 1936). One year later, Jacob passed away at the age of 79 (April 24,1858 – August 1, 1937).
Jacob and Albertina had eleven children – nine sons and two daughters as follows:
1) Walter de Souza (RIP: November 14, 1883 – October 18, 1918). He married Martina Pinto. They had two children – Sylvia de Souza (RIP: 1912 - 1984), Archibald de Souza (RIP: March 28, 1914 – January 15, 1969).
2) Albert de Souza. He died at the age of two.
3) Stanislaus Kostka de Souza (RIP: January 27, 1900 – February 24, 1961.) He married Maria Esmeralda de Souza (RIP: November 14, 1909 – September 19, 2002). They had four children - Maria Berylla Teresa de Souza (Born: October 30, 1930), Dr. Alwyn de Souza (RIP: April 26, 1929 – September 29, 2000), Sr. Greta de Souza (RIP: July 3, 1932 – March 7, 2001) and Raynah de Souza (Born: October 13, 1936).
4) Olive de Souza (RIP). She married Charles Parrett. They had four children – Ivy Parrett (RIP:(November 25, 1907 – January 30, 1996)); Myrtle Parrett (Born: August 8, 1912), Hazel Parrett (Born: December 28, 1920), and James Parrett (Born: 1922).
5) Edwin William de Souza (RIP: June 25, 1889 – November 6, 1960). He married Lily Marques - first wife (Died: February 2, 1924). They had one daughter, Sybil de Souza (Born: May 10, 1923). Edwin’s second marriage was to Lily’s sister, Lucia Brigida
Apolonia Marques (RIP: February 9, 1902 – August 10, 1987). They had two sons – John de Souza (RIP: 1938-1938) and Bernard de Souza (Born: May 21, 1942).
6) Alphonsus Ligouri de Souza (RIP: March 5, 1896 – January 18, 1942). He married Elsie Beatrice (RIP: 1894 - 1991). They had four children – Olga de Souza (Born: 1922), Phyllis Virginia de Souza (Born: April 17, 1924), Cynthia de Souza (Born: October 16, 1927), Joseph Walter de Souza (Born: August 8, 1933).
7) Marie de Souza - died in infancy.
8) Joseph de Souza – died in infancy
9) Dr. Joseph Crysanthus de Souza. He worked in Abedan. He married Norah Pereira. They had three children. Heather de Souza (Born: December 26, 1938), Sandra de Souza (Born: 1946); Charmaine de Souza (Born: October 26, 1956).
10) Robert de Souza. He established a Travel Agency in Iran. He married Mirum. They had six children – Ramzee Albertine de Souza, Larinka de Souza, Herman de Souza, Lawrence de Souza, Lourdes de Souza, Pricilla de Souza. Robert never came back to Goa.
11) Bernard de Souza. He died at the age of 18
In this article I shall talk only about three of Jacob’s sons and their families who were instrumental in establishing and running the Sacred Heart of Jesus High Schools.
(1) SACRED HEART HIGH SCHOOL, PARRA
Walter de Souza did his B.A.B.T. from the Bombay University and became a teacher.
He married Miss Martina Pinto of Pinto Vaddo, Verla, Parra, settled in her house and became a “ghor-zanvuim”.
On January 5, 1912 he set up a school in his wife’s house in Parra and named it ‘Sacred Heart of Jesus High School’ (now Sacred Heart High School – the word ‘Jesus’ was dropped from the title to avoid confusion between the Parra and Anjuna Schools.)
It catered to English education and is the second oldest English medium school in Goa, the first being St. Joseph’s High School, Arpora, which was established by Mr. William Lyons in 1887.
Walter died at the age of 35 (November 14, 1883 – October 18, 1918) of the World War I epidemic known as the ‘Spanish Flu’ or ‘La Grippe’. It was the most devastating epidemic in recorded world history. Once a person was infected, death was certain.
In Goa, most alcoholics survived the disease. In fact, Walter’s family doctor advised him to drink alcohol but since he never drank, he rejected his advice and became a victim of the flu.
It was the most fatal infectious disease which is why only close family members attended funerals – the dead body was taken directly to the cemetery. Our boyyas or pede (grave diggers) who buried the dead survived because they were always on drinks!
Jacob’s sixth son, Alphonsus Ligouri de Souza, was the first student to pass his S.S.C.E. through the Sacred Heart High School Parra in 1914.
He took over as the Principal of the Parra School after the untimely death of his eldest brother, Walter, and was the Principal for more than 20 years.
Under his able guidance and leadership the school achieved success in the academic field, sports and co-curricular activities.
When Ligouri ran SHHS, Parra, Walter’s son, Archibald de Souza, who held a B.A.B.T., taught in the school. Archibald or Archie, as he was popularly known, was the only son of the founder. He became the Principal of the school soon after Ligouri’s death.
He left for Kenya in 1949, and was the Headmaster of Dr. Ribeiro Goan High School, Nairobi for several years. He then joined the Kenya Government Service and taught at Kisumu High School, Kisumu.
He returned to Goa in December 1964 and found that the main building of Sacred Heart High School, Parra, had collapsed; the school had been closed for two years, and the school records were destroyed by termites.
After meeting huge expenses to set the school on its feet again, and running from pillar to post, he re-opened his father’s school in June 1965. He died at the age of 55 (March 28, 1914 – January 15, 1969). There are 680 students enrolled in the school in the current academic year 2010-2011.
Archibald’s daughters, Mavis and Martina also taught at SHHS in Parra.
Mavis married Tony de Sá from Moira, who served SHHS in various capacities for thirty seven and a half years. He was the Headmaster of the school from November 6, 1993 to October 1, 2007. He is now retired and lives at his home in Moira.
Archibald’s son, Walter (named after his grandfather) is presently the Manager/Principal of SHHS, Parra. He took over the position on October 24, 2007.
(2) SACRED HEART OF JESUS HIGH SCHOOL, DULER, MAPUSA
In 1931, Ligouri set up an English School in Duler, Mapusa, and named it ‘Escola do Sagrado Coração de Jesus’ - Sacred Heart of Jesus High School (SHJHS). Valentino Pinto - the famous wine merchant from Mapusa during the Portuguese era, Dom Caetano Menezes, another powerful personality from Mapusa in those days, and others from Mapusa helped him set up the school.
It was the only English educational institution in Mapusa at that time.
The school was first accommodated in Lawrence Braganza’s house and later it was shifted to Dom Caetano Menezes’ house (now Querobino Almeida’s) in Duler.
Ligouri was already busy looking after the School in Gaumvaddi as well as Parra School. As such, he lacked time and found it difficult to run all three schools. To add to his woes, he also faced a shortage of teaching staff.
At this stage, Valentino Pinto and M. Cruz took charge of the school and they subsequently handed it over to the Jesuits. An application was made to Bombay University for its affiliation, which was granted on March 29, 1944.
On July 22, 1946, the management of the Sacred Heart of Jesus High School, Duler, Mapusa, was transferred to the Jesuits.
But the name of the school was creating confusion, as there was another Sacred Heart High School in Parra. The University required a change in the name of the school.
So, on May 18, 1948, the school was christened ‘St. Britto High School’ in honor of the holy Jesuit who lived in Goa for 7 months to complete his theological studies at St. Paul’s College in Goa.
Ligouri’s daughter, Phyllis Virginia de Souza, who passed her S.S.C.E. in 1940 through SHHS in Parra, taught in SHJHS in Duler, Mapusa from 1943 to 1944.
(3) SACRED HEART OF JESUS HIGH SCHOOL, ANJUNA
In 1935, Ligouri de Souza shifted Sacred Heart of Jesus High School from his home in Gaumvaddi to Dr. Constancio Rodrigues’ house or “Rogddeager” in Mazalvaddo, adjacent to the present Bank of Baroda.
If the school was shifted, it meant it existed. Therefore, previous 25+ years should have been taken into consideration for its establishment purpose. Unfortunately, 1935 has been considered as the establishment year of the school. Thus, we have lost more than 25 precious years of the existence of the school from its inception year 1910, if not earlier!
The concept of setting up the school originated with a group of persons including Salvador de Souza, L.J. Denis and Peter Vaz who obtained the support of Dr. Olencio da Gama Pinto, a person who promoted most welfare activities in the village.
B.B. Borkar was the Headmaster of Rogddo’s School, and Ligouri de Souza was the Principal.
The school got its colloquial name ‘Rogddo’s School’ because of Dr. Constancio’s brother, Miguel Arcanjo Rodrigues, who talked too much and spoke very fast resulting in too much noise, which sounded like the rumbling of a grinding stone.
Whenever he went around in the village to hire laborers to work at his home, etc., on hearing him, they would quietly comment: “Kitem re, rogddea baxen sogllo vell goddo-goddo; goddo-goddo; goddo-goddo korun gunngunnaita!” (What man, you rumble like a grinding stone!) This is how he was nicknamed as “Rogddo”, and ultimately the house as well as the school came to be known by his nickname.
Rogddo’s house is a palatial one – the total built up area is 680 square meters! In all, it has 20 rooms, including a large hall and a dining room and two large indoor corridors. Its walls are very high and rooms are very spacious. Its large balcony faces the North.
Like most Portuguese houses it has a “roz-angnnem”, which now serves as a mini garden.
They continued to teach at Rogddo’s from the 1st to the 4th Standard. Three classes were accommodated in the vast hall or sitting room and the fourth class was conducted in the adjoining bedroom.
Rogddo’s house was hired on a rental of mere Rs.50 per month and the school had just fifty pupils on its rolls. It is believed within a fortnight, the number on its rolls jumped to over two hundred and fifty.
A. Ligouri de Souza died at the age of 46 (March 5, 1896 – January 18, 1942). It’s a pity he, too, died so young!
Ligouri’s daughter, Phyllis V. de Souza e Faria, also taught at Rogddo’s School from 1944 to 1946.
She has over 25 years of teaching experience. She started her social service intensively when she was appointed as Chairman of the Project Implementing Committee (Bardez) in 1966.
In 1970, she was elected as Councilor of Mapusa Municipal Council, and in 1973, she was elected as the President of the Mapusa Municipality, thus having the distinction and honor of being the first lady in Goa and in India to hold this distinguished post.
In 1985, she was nominated as a member of the Goa Legislative Assembly for the period 1985-1990.
On the occasion of Women’s Day 2002, the government of Goa constituted the ‘Yashadamini Puraskar.’ These are given to eminent Goan women who have assured success in their respective fields and have brought glory and fame to Goa.
On March 10, 2002, Mrs. Faria was presented with the Yashadamini Puraskar. She also served as the Chairman of the Sacred Heart High School Trust, Parra, Goa in the 1990s.
By the beginning of the Fifties, the Portuguese government made it compulsory for village schools to be conducted in premises that had a cemented or tiled floor - most houses, including Rogddo’s had cow-dung-treated-floor.
In view of the above enforcement, the school was shifted from Rogddo’s to Botelho’s house, opposite Saud Saibinnimchem Kopel (Our Lady of Good Health Chapel), in the early Fifties, where they continued to teach up to the 4th Std.
Edwin de Souza, Jacob’s fifth son, served the Navy but he was forced to leave the job, as he suffered from ulcers.
He returned home in the early Thirties and married his late wife’s sister, Lucia. His brother, Dr. Joseph de Souza, treated him for his ulcers.
When at home, he took up teaching and helped Ligouri. When Walter shifted to Parra, Ligouri, Edwin and Lucia continued to teach at their home in Gaumvaddi. As mentioned earlier, there were also other qualified teachers who taught at Jacob’s school.
Edwin was a disciplinarian; everyone liked him. Every day, he walked from his home to Rogddo’s School. Later, he would walk from his home to Botelho’s house.
Edwin was a gentleman. He dressed well. He wore a pair of trousers, shirt, tie, black coat and shoes. He always wore a safari helmet on his head. Similarly, he always carried a thermos flask containing tea or coffee, which he hung across his chest, and, of course, he carried an umbrella in all seasons.
On his way back home from the school, he broke his walk midway in ‘maddanim’ (a line of coconut trees which began at the “sankov” (bridge) and ended at “Pundari Avoichem dukorn” (Pundari mother’s taverna).
Edwin served as the Headmaster of the SHJHS at Rogddo’s as well as at Botelho’s. Although Ligouri was the founder and Principal of the Anjuna SHJHS, he was hardly present in Anjuna because he had to attend to the schools in Parra and Mapusa. In his absence, Edwin looked after the school affairs. Hence, in those days the school was known as ‘Edwin’s school.’
Edwin died of a heart attack at the age of 71 (June 25, 1889 – November 5, 1960).
……………..To be continued